Experienced California Attorneys Fight Employer Age Discrimination
Knowledgeable lawyers advocate for wronged workers in the Pasadena area
Your work experience is meaningful and valuable. When employers disregard your qualifications in favor of hiring or promoting a younger, less qualified worker, your financial security could be threatened. People in the Pasadena area and throughout California come to M Law Attorneys for skilled legal support in age discrimination cases. We represent workers who are pushed out of jobs, passed over for promotions they deserve, denied benefits or otherwise treated unfairly because of their age. Our lawyers collect evidence and testimony to build strong cases. Our goal is to help you continue working for as long as you wish.
Reputable law firm represents mature workers in age-based employment disputes
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects workers who are 40 years of age and older from employment discrimination based on age. If you believe you have been the target of age discrimination, it is important to document the instances in which you were treated unfairly. Discrimination may exist in the form of actions or policies related to:
- Retirement — With few exceptions, it is illegal for an employer to force an employee to retire at a certain age.
- Hiring and promotion — Generally, age preferences or limitations cannot be included in job listings, and employers cannot make hiring, firing, promotion, training or job assignment decisions that discriminate against older workers.
- Pay and benefits — It is unlawful for employers to determine a worker’s compensation based on their age. Likewise, employers who provide lesser benefits to older workers may violate the ADEA.
- Harassment — Offensive, derogatory, and pervasive age-related comments can foster a hostile work environment or result in negative employment decisions. Age harassment in the workplace is illegal under the guidelines of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Many states offer additional protections to employees alleging age discrimination. To ensure that you are aware of the protections and rights available to you in California, contact an experienced employment law attorney.
Attentive attorneys help file EEO complaints and handle settlement negotiations
Before an age discrimination lawsuit can be pursued against an employer, a Charge of Discrimination (Equal Employment Opportunity complaint) must be filed with the EEOC, and the EEOC must issue a Notice of Right to Sue. The following conditions must exist in order for an age discrimination complaint to be considered:
- The discriminated employee must be at least 40 years old.
- The business must employ 20 or more people.
- An individual must have been treated less favorably than others due to their age.
At M Law Attorneys, we work to resolve age discrimination cases out of court. If litigation is necessary, we are fully prepared to present your case in court with clarity and conviction.
Contact a respected California law firm to handle your age discrimination claim
M Law Attorneys is dedicated to protecting and enforcing the rights of all workers, no matter their age. If you have experienced age discrimination at work, call our Pasadena office at 626-626-4422 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a qualified attorney.